Crepey skin came about by mimicking the beloved craft paper. The thin, paper-like skin, which can also feel loose or saggy, shrivels easily with movement and causes larger areas like the upper arms or the area above the knees to wrinkle.
Crepey skin or when the skin resembles a fragile sheet of crepe paper happens for a few reasons: In most occurrences, the thin appearance is caused by lack of hydration, loss of collagen, and diminished cell turnover processes that have adverse effects on the natural course of aging as well as environmental influences such as sun exposure, smoking, and environmental pollution. Those larger sun-exposed areas tend to turn crepey most quickly, and such areas are the upper arms, neck, legs, etc. Let’s find out the causes and the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs.
CAUSES OF CREPEY SKIN
There are many causes of creepy skin on arms and legs, some occurring naturally and others being induced by the day-to-day activities of man and his environment. Some of those causes are listed below:
1. Aging: Aging is the number one culprit of creepy arm and legs in most adults. Although it is a pride to grow older gracefully but there are some accelerating lifestyle factors that are more in one’s control when it comes to dry, crepey skin. Although age plays a smaller role than certain health factors such as diet, lifestyle, hormones, sleep, and even stress. A younger person can have a slower turnover rate than an older person who takes diligent care of themselves. Beyond natural aging, here are the main culprits behind crepey skin.
2. Sun damage: Over time, exposure to the ultra violet rays of the sun breaks down the collagen and elastin in a person more, while aging that occurs naturally causes people to produce fewer of these at a slower rate.
3. Sugar: Consuming excessive sugar in one’s diet overtime can lead to glycation, which is when sugar binds to collagen and breaks it down, which over time, causes the skin of the arm and legs to become crepey.
4. Stress: Stress can also cause increased cortisol levels, which then causes increasing inflammation, which can lead to premature aging and make one’s skin become crepey.
SOME BEST INGREDIENTS TO TREAT CREPY SKIN NATURALLY
- Retinol: It promotes the cell’s overall turnover, improves texture, and stimulates collagen production.
- Hyaluronic Acid: It helps to pull in and hold in moisture in the skin.
- Squalene and Ceramides: It nourishes and moisturizes the skin.
- Niacinamide: Which is otherwise called vitamin B3, helps to brighten the skin, decrease inflammation, and help repair the moisture barrier.
- EGFs (epidermal growth factors): It helps to stimulate the repair at a cellular level and increase collagen production.
- Peptides: It helps to increase the skin’s firmness and reduce wrinkles.
- Antioxidants A, B and C: It helps to destroy the free radicals that break down collagen.
BEST LOTION FOR CREPEY SKIN ON ARMS AND LEGS
1. Augustinus bader the body cream
This is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs, it is composed of amino acids, vitamins, and synthesized molecules that are naturally found in the skin. It delivers its nutrients directly to the skin cells, which aids in cellular regeneration. The lotion gives the skin cells exactly what they need which enables them focus on repair. Additionally, the cream also contains shea butter and bisabolol, which help with maximum moisture and produce more antioxidants.
2. Gold bond ultimate crepe corrector
This lotion contains Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, popularly known as aloe vera, which is one of the best moisturizing ingredients. It also contains Jojoba oil, which is a natural and nourishing emollient, which is best for dry skin. This wax ester, otherwise called jojoba oil, helps to seal in moisture without clogging pores in the skin, and makes the Gold Bond body lotion lightweight and non-greasy.
The gold bond ultimate creap corrector also contains protein, which helps in strengthening the creap area. This lotion is a great budget-friendly lotion for crepey skin because it does a great job of helping to smooth saggy skin.
NOTE: It’s hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested, which is great for those with sensitive skin.
3. Love fresh coconut lime butter
This lotion contains coconut oil, which is a great anti-inflammatory and moisturizing agent. It also contains natural beeswax, which creates a protective barrier to keep the skin’s moisture in check. This is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs.
NOTE: Beeswax is also a humectant that draws water to the skin.
The love fresh coconut lime butter also contains sunflower seed oil, which is non-comedogenic and suitable for all skin types. Sunflower oil contains oleic and linoleic acids which support the skin barrier.
This natural beauty lotion is free from parabens and petroleum. It is an ultra-hydrating body lotion that is suitable and safe for all skin types and helps crepey skin retain moisture all day long.
4. Matter company leg and arm cream
This lotion contains shea butter, which is a humectant and a very good moisturizing ingredient. It’s contains fatty acids like linoleic acid, which are necessary to keep the skin barrier strong because the stronger the skin barrier, the harder it is for moisture to escape. Shea butter is also smoothing and can help improve the overall appearance of crepey skin on the arms and legs.
This lotion also contains vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, it helps reduce damage from UV radiation using a body lotion with added antioxidant power is a great preventative step since the sun is one of the causes of crepey skin . Vitamin E is also a good moisturizer, a good strengthener and an anti-inflammatory.
Matter Company Leg and Back Cream is made with naturally occurring ingredients and fragranced with essential oils. It contains blends of lemongrass, basil, dill, black pepper and rosemary as a delight for the senses. Besides being a great daily moisturizer for crepey skin, this body cream has great therapeutic properties to ease aching legs and improve overall body circulation. This is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs.
5.Crepe erase advanced body repair treatment
This lotion contains TruFirm complex, this blend of apple, dill, and sage extracts empowers the skin by strengthening its structure. It helps with the body’s elastin production and the elasticity of the skin. The proprietary complex is what makes this an anti-aging lotion. The lotion also contains grapeseed oil, which softens, moisturizes, and improves the overall elasticity. It also contains olive oil which is a good moisturizer, antioxidant and prevents signs of ultra violet ray damage.
The lotion also contains cocoa butter, which is a fatty acid that hydrates and nourishes the skin. Cocoa butter helps form a protective barrier on the skin to seal in moisture. Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment particularly targets crepey skin on the body. This is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs. It handles the hydration, firming, and antioxidant needs of the skin.
6. Nivea nourishing skin firming lotion with Q10 and vitamin C
This lotion contains Coenzyme Q10 which is very identical to the Q10 that naturally occurs in the body. It helps the skin to support cell regeneration and fight oxidative stress (like UV). On the surface of the skin, Q10 is important to maintain a smooth skin. Like collagen and elastin, Q10 production decreases with age and in sun damaged skin.
It also contains shea butter, which is very important in lotion for crepey skin because of the solid need for a moisturizing ingredient. Shea butter is full of nourishing fatty acids that make skin supple and smooth.
NIVEA’s skin firming body lotion is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs because It is thinner, so it spreads on the skin and it is absorbed well. This lotion is a great daily option to make the skin smooth and improve skin texture. NIVEA products do have quite a strong fragrance, so it may not be suitable for very sensitive skin.
7. Perricone MD cold plasma plus fragile skin therapy
This lotion contains the Growth Factor Peptide. Peptides, which are like little “messengers” which are responsible for telling the skin to act younger. Growth factor peptide improves the look of thin and weak skin by signaling the skin to re-enforce and strengthen. This is one of the best lotion for crepey skin on arms and legs that improves the skin because it contains hyaluronic acid. This micro HA penetrates deeply into the skin to hydrate and plump.
It also contains retinol which is otherwise known as vitamin A derivative, and is a gentle chemical exfoliant that helps aging skin regenerate new skin cells. This Perricone MD’s Cold Plasma Plus+Fragile Skin Therapy was created specifically with arms and legs in mind, especially with the extra delicate areas on the inside of upper arms and shins, where skin is thinner and helps in combating every angle of crepey skin by:
- Exfoliating the top layer to prompt the overall cell turnover.
- It hydrates & plumps for visibly smoother looking skin temporary.
- It helps to strengthen the skin so it can remain firm over time.
NOTE: This skin therapy lotion is also fragrance free. So it’s safe for sensitive skin. It’s free from phthalates, sulfates, parabens, and talc.