Finding the best foundation for acne prone skin can be very difficult, especially if your skin breaks out easily. Having skin that is prone to acne can be somehow tricky and difficult to manage when it comes to foundation. Foundation is an important step in makeup that gives your face full coverage, but you should be careful so as not to clog your skin pores or cause more oil production and irritation.
You would not want to have a foundation that makes your face very greasy and leaves acne breakouts on your face. One important thing people with acne prone skin should look out for in foundations is salicylic acid. This ingredient is used in cleansers, serums and most acne treatment creams because it helps to keep the skin’s texture balanced.
If this acid is added to foundations, it does not only balance the texture of the skin but also even out the skin tone. Also, look out for foundations with hyaluronic acid, it will help moisturize and hydrate your skin. Foundations that are oil-free is also recommended.
Best Foundation For Acne Prone Skin For Light And Full Coverage
Using a light, medium, or full coverage foundation depends on what look you want to achieve and the occasion. If you are going for any of the coverage, it is best you choose a foundation that will not cause breakouts on your face. Light coverage foundation is subtle enough that it evens the skin but does not cover the skin.
Medium coverage is buildable, you can use just a layer to cover the face while your facial features show, and you can also add another layer to cover them. Full coverage gives the skin a completely even tone while covering every part.
Here are some of the best foundation for acne prone skin for light, medium or full coverage.
1. IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better Oil-Free Matte CC+ Cream: This foundation has a medium coverage, it gives you allows to build your face coverage however you want it without making your face greasy or clogging pores. The foundation has broad-spectrum SPF 40, anti-inflammatory and oil absorbing properties because of ingredients like charcoal, clay, and tea tree oil. The IT foundation has 12 shades that you can choose from.
2. Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin Liquid Foundation: Charlotte is not only good for acne prone skin but can be used on dry skin as well. This medium coverage foundation does not grease the skin, but it has hyaluronic acid that is very effective in moisturizing and hydrating the skin. There are about 30 shades you can choose from, depending on your skin color.
3. Make Up For Ever HD Skin Foundation: Make up for ever foundation can finely conceal facial blemishes without making the face heavy. It has hyaluronic acid that can hydrate the skin and make you comfortable with the foundation on your face. It is ideal for both medium and full coverage makeup. You can get any color of your choice out of the 50 shades the brand has.
4. The Ordinary Serum Foundation: The serum in the name does not make it a skin care product, the serum is actually added to the foundation and this gives it a slippery, serum texture when applied to the face. The slippery texture does not stay on the face because it dries up immediately, giving your face a perfect look. The foundation comes in 36 shades.
5. Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation: Tarte is a full coverage foundation for both acne prone skin and oily skin because it controls how your skin produces oil and prevents acne while camouflaging the breakouts on your face. It has anti-inflammatory properties and oil-absorbing kaolin clay.
6. Clinique Acne Clearing Solutions Foundation: Clinique can be used by all skin types and comes in 16 shades. The foundation has salicylic acid, an ingredient that is known to fight acne breakouts, and it is also oil-free. You can build the tone you want as it is designed to be medium coverage.
7. Blk/Opl True Color Skin Perfecting Stick Foundation: Blk blends very easily with the skin and it is also full coverage. The foundation has vitamins C and E that act as antioxidants and help brighten and hydrate the skin as well. You can choose from the 21 shades to get that perfect face without budges.
8. Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Powder Foundation: Fenty is medium coverage and also light when used on the face. The brand has a foundation that can stay on the face for a long period of time, even when the face is exposed to humid temperatures. The foundation is also ideal for people with acne prone skin or oily skin. There are like 50 shades that match each skin color.
9. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation: This foundation is very light and effective in controlling how much oil your face produces. The foundation is oil free and gives a smooth texture that lasts for 24 hours without giving the face a greasy look. It does not clog pores and can withstand any temperature. You can choose from the 28 shades available.
10. Chanel Ultra Le Teint Flawless Finish Foundation: Ultra is known for its soft texture, 35 shades, long lasting features and flawless finish. It protects the face from acne while it covers the blemishes already on the face. You can wear the foundation without having the cakey feeling most foundations have.
Other best foundation for acne prone skin are:
- Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40
- Juvia’s Place I Am Magic Velvety Matte Foundation
- Alima Pure Pressed Foundation with Rosehip Complex
- MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation
- Bareminerals Matte Foundation
Best Foundation For Acne Prone Skin In Drugstore
Some foundations can easily be found in drugstores, this does not mean that they are of lesser quality, but they are easily accessible. Getting foundations from a drugstore can be tricky because the store attendant may not really know each product as the brand website would. If you are unable to get the product from the store, you can get any of the below foundations as they are ideal for acne prone skin.
1. Revlon Colorstay Makeup For Combination / Oily Skin: Revlon is a medium coverage that has a long lasting feature, it is easy to blend and has 43 shades that can work with all skin tones. There is also SPF 15, which helps to protect the skin from damage. It is good for any skin type.
2. Catrice Cosmetics HD Liquid Coverage Foundation: Catrice is alcohol, gluten and oil free which makes it ideal for people with sensitive skin. It is light when used on the face but can last for a long time without caking. There are 23 shards of this product, which is suitable for all types of skin. The product does not only conceal blemishes but also prevent acne breakouts.
3. Almay Clear Complexion Makeup: Almay is very rich in salicylic acid, which means the foundation cannot irritate or cause acne but it can control oil production, hide facial blemishes and hydrate the skin. It has been tested by dermatologists and confirmed to be non-comedogenic and cruelty-free. There are about 14 shades for you to choose from.
4. Phoera Matte Liquid Foundation: Phoera is formulated with SPF 25 to prevent sun damage to the skin. It controls oil production, gives the face a smooth texture and hides blemishes. The foundation is medium coverage and comes in 10 shades.
Other best foundation for acne prone skin you can get at a drugstore are:
- Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Makeup
- Covergirl Clean Powder Foundation
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Fresh Wear Foundation In A Powder
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless Foundation
Acne prone skin is difficult to manage, things you eat or use on your skin can easily cause breakouts, so it is best to only go for products that are known to be good for sensitive skin. For example, foundation is one product that must be carefully used because it stays on the face for a long time and can have effects, including breakouts.
We have compiled a list of the best foundations that can be used by people with acne prone skin and even those with oily skin. Some of these products can be easily gotten in drugstores so they are easily accessible.