Artificial nails are easy to fix and can come in any style. They can be fixed by anyone, you do not have to go to the saloon to get it done which means you get to save lots of money. Everyone that uses artificial nails knows nail glue, that they may be sticky and can cause lots of mess hence the need to know how to get nail glue off your nails when you are done wearing your favorite artificial nails.
However, they can be messy if they touch other places on the nail where they should not touch. It can even make you uncomfortable, imagine having super glue on your nail and the discomfort you feel. Removing the glue from your nail is just like removing something that is meant to stick to your skin, it will be stressful and you can irritate your skin in the process.
Why Do We Have Nail Glue
There are so many glues that can be used to stick things together,
we have used many glues to fix broken items or even during our art classes, but we do not use these glues to fix our nails. Nail glue
has a chemical called cyanoacrylate, this same chemical is found in super glue and other household glues. Nail glue and super glue can dry out quickly, they are waterproof because they become transparent when they are dry. Both also stick tightly to the nails.
Even with the same chemical and some similarities, there are differences between nail glue and other super glue products. Their thick and sticky consistency (viscosity) is different. Nail glue is formulated with ingredients that can make the nails grow and maintain their healthy state.
Glues like wood glue, epoxy glue and silicone adhesives can not stick to the nail as they do not have cyanoacrylate in them. Also, glues like polyurethane-based glues cannot be used for the nails, they are messy and can leave stains on the nails and skin.
How To Get Nail Glue Off Your Nails: Use petroleum jelly
How To Get Nail Glue Off Your Nails At Home
Removing nail glue from your nails can be done with tools you can easily get in the house. You just need warm water, a nail file or buffer, natural oils and an acetone-based nail polish remover.
You can just follow the steps below:
HOW TO REMOVE NAIL GLUE FROM YOUR NAILS
1. Mix warm water and any natural oil, like olive oil or almond oil in a basin. The water should not be too hot to scald your nails.
2. Soak your nails in the water and let them stay in for 10 minutes. This will make your nails and the glue soften.
3. For a few minutes, move your hands to another bowl of acetone for only few minutes. Your nail glue will start to go off.
4. You should use a toothpick or any object with a sharp end to draw out the base of the artificial nail from where they join to the cuticle, they will pull out easily. Do not pull back from the tip of the nail.
5. When you have removed the artificial nails, put your hands in warm water mixed with oil to soften the glue more.
6. Use a bigger or nail file to scrap off the remaining glue on your natural nails. Be careful so that you do not buff out your nails.
7. Once all of the glue reside has been removed, clean your nails and apply a moisturizing cream on them
HOW TO REMOVE NAIL GLUE
Another method needs soap, water, a nail file or buffer, and acetone. You can also do this at home.
1. Mix warm water and gentle hand soap till the water foams.
2. Soak your nails completely in the basin of water and leave them there for 15 minutes. The warm water and soap will move into the nail glue and soften it, this makes it easier to remove the nails. You can rub cuticle oil on the artificial nails before soaking them in warm water.
3. Remove the nails from the water and pry at the base of your artificial nails to detach them. Do not yank them off, if they do not come off easily, you can soak them in the water for a few minutes again.
4. Use a nail buffer to remove excess glue on the natural nails after the artificial nails are out. When you have scraped out the excess nail glue, you can rinse your nails with water.
5. Soak a little part of a clean towel or cotton pad with acetone and rub it on your nails. This is to get rid of all the glue.
6. Wash off the acetone from your nails with soap and water. Rub moisturizing cream or cuticle oil on your nails so that they do not dry off.
This method is used when you want to cut your artificial nails as well. You will need petroleum jelly, a nail file, acetone, a cotton pad, aluminum foil and a clean towel.
1. Using a pair of scissors, trim the artificial nails as low as they can be. Be careful not to cut off your natural nails or trim down to your nail beds.
2. Using a nail file, remove the shiny surface of the artificial nails. Stop when you notice your natural nails coming off as well.
3. Remove the dust from the artificial nails with a clean cloth. The nails should be free of dust so that the acetone can move into the nail glue.
4. To protect your nails from being dry, rub petroleum jelly on them before the acetone.
5. Soak little cotton pad with acetone and place them over each of your nails.
6. Tear off little piece of the aluminum foil and wrap it over the cotton pad with acetone. This is done to retain heat and moisture that will make the nail glue soften easily. You can do them one nail at a time if you are alone or wrap all the nails if you can. Allow the foil to stay on the nail for 20 minutes.
7. Remove the foils and cotton pad, you will notice the glue has dissolved.
8. Use a clean towel to clean off the wet glue, you should apply a little pressure to remove all the glue and acetone. You can replace the acetone and foil if there is still residue of the glue on your nails.
9. Use a nail buffer to file out excess glue that were not cleaned by the towel. Wash off with clean towel.
How To Get Nail Glue Off Your Nails Without Acetone
- Rub a generous amount of petroleum jelly on your nails, make sure the jelly is enough to cover all the nails.
- Massage the nails in a circular motion till you notice the nail glue is loosening up.
- After the jelly has dissolved the glue, you should wash your hands with soap and water to get off the residue.
Option 2: Hand lotion
Hand lotion can be used to remove nail glue, this may sound impossible, but it can be used.
- Apply hand lotion on the nail glue and massage it in a circular motion.
- Continue with the massage till you notice the glue flaking away.
- When the glue has gone or dissolved, you should wash your hands with soap and water.
- Reapply the hand lotion to moisturize your nails.
Option 3: Soap and water
This method takes the longest but can be helpful in removing nail glue. You can use it when you do not have the ingredients needed for the other options.
- Mix warm water and soap till the water foams.
- Soak your hands in the water for a few minutes, it may be as long as 15 to 40 minutes.
- After some time, you will notice that the glue is dissolving. Pull the dissolved glue away from the nail gently.
- Remove your hands from the water when you are done pulling out the nail glue and rub hand lotion or any moisturizer on your fingers and nails.
Getting nail glue from your nail or my part of your skin is one difficult task because it can cause irritation on your skin if you do not do it gently. There are many tools you can use, these tools are easy to get. You can use these methods to also remove nail glue from any part of your skin.
After using acetone to remove the glue, be sure to wash it off and moisturize your hands and nails so as not to make them dry.