The Evil Eye jewelry, although very popular in the twenty-first century, is an emblem that is traceable to thousands of years ago. This particularly famous amulet is used as a fashion statement today, which is being worn as a necklace, bracelet, earrings, or even ring, with many not understanding the history behind this piece of jewelry. In fact, the evil-eye jewelry is so trendy and fashionable that even the Duchess of Sussex wears it. The evil eye, or ‘mati’, as it is known in Greek, is well known as a blue colored piece of jewelry that is shaped and designed as an eye. But the evil eye is more than meets the eye (pun intended).
HISTORY AND MEANING OF THE EVIL EYE JEWELRY
Despite the differences in shape, size, color, and design of the evil eye jewelry, the same meaning is applicable to all. Its story is believed to have begun in ancient Greece. Traditionally, the evil eye jewelry is an amulet that symbolizes protection. Consequently, it is believed in many cultures across the world that evil eye jewelry can protect one against harm or evil spirits and negative energy.
The concept behind evil eye jewelry is that a curse can be cast on by a nasty stare that is believed to radiate negative energy, out of jealousy or envy to an unwitting person. This curse is believed to have demonic tendencies that can result in catastrophic events such as bad luck, mental, emotional, and even physical pain, injury, and even death. Because, this evil stare can come from the most unsuspecting people and places, the need for evil eye jewelry is thus birthed. The evil eye jewelry therefore, was created to combat this curse and protect those that may receive the evil eye.
The idea that a person may be harmed by an evil stare from an envious person is further strengthened by scriptures found in the texts of the two biggest religions of the world: Christianity and Islam. The Old Testament of the Bible refers to the evil eye in Proverbs 23:6, cautioning, “Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, nor desire thou his dainty meats.”
Verses 51 and 52 of the Al-Qalam Surah in the Quran reads: “And indeed, those who disbelieve would almost make you slip with their eyes when they hear the message, and they say: Indeed, he is mad. But it is not only a reminder to the worlds.” Similarly, in Book 26 of the Shahi Muslims, the Prophet Muhammad warned of the danger of the evil eye and said that in order to offset the influence of evil forces, a bath must be taken.
WHAT CAN TRIGGER THE EVIL EYE
Different cultures have pointed to various reasons as likely triggers of the evil eye curse. However, a common ground is seen in Islamic, Roman and ancient Grecian cultures. It is believed that excessive praise will bring about the evil influence of evil eyes. This is because the person who is being praised becomes so proud that he or she will bring bad luck through an evil eye from envious people.
The second belief is that the gods and goddesses are punishing those who are proud of their achievements and destroy them with an evil eye, restoring them to the level of mortals. This could then lead to mental and physical illnesses. In fact, any disease that does not have an immediate apparent cause is considered to be caused by the evil eye. Notwithstanding, pregnant women, children and animals are believed to be more prone to this curse. As expected, there are people who are often accused of giving off an evil eye, which includes the childless, old women, strangers, and people with physical disabilities or malformations.
You need to understand that there is an important distinction between the evil eye and eye jewelry. While the evil eye is a curse. The eye jewelry is a trinket believed to dispel the curse. But over time, the two terms have been used interchangeably and thus getting many confused. Therefore, the use of the name “evil eye” regarding jewelry usually refers to the protective eye amulet.
KINDS OF EVIL EYE
There are basically three kinds of evil eye according to beliefs. The first are unconscious evil eyes. This kind of evil eyes harm people and things, without you intending to. This may be the rolling of the eyes to what a person says or even the quick angry glance we may give them when they speak or even the thoughts that go through your mind against a person but are not spoken aloud. These actions and thoughts are believed to send out negative energy in the direction of that person without you even realizing it.
The second type is the intentional evil eye and can be seen in the telltales you carry around about someone or the agitation you feel towards them. The curses and middle finger you dish out when someone cuts you off with their car on the road, then slows down right in front of you. By voicing aloud the evil eye curse, you have released the evil spirits, even if you yourself do not invoke harm.
The third one is known as unseen or hidden evil, which is a form of premeditated and malicious evil that entails doing harm to others. This type of evil eye arises from many different causes, such as jealousy, envy, and covetousness.
COLORS AND MEANINGS OF EVIL EYE JEWELRY
Color is an important factor that also affects the true meaning of evil eye jewelry. The blue color may have become the most easily associated color with the evil eye jewelry. But over the years, various colors have come to represent different things. This implies that, depending on what color the evil eye jewelry has, it can provide different effects when worn.
1. Orange: This serves as a protection of your happiness and protection. It gives you motivation for commitment and increases creativity and playfulness.
2. Dark Blue: This serves as karma and fate protection. It also gives calmness and relaxation, providing an open flow of communication.
3. Light Blue: This is the most common of all and serves as general protection, broadens your perspective and gives you solitude and peace.
4. Dark Green: This color picks up happiness and balance in your life. It also gives you freedom to pursue new ideas.
5. Purple: This is believed to boost your imagination, re-balances your life and removes all obstacles in your life.
6. Brown: It serves as a protective shield from the elements and connects you with nature. It is also believed to give orderliness.
7. Red: This color represents courage, enthusiasm and energy. It is believed to protect against fears and anxieties.
8. Yellow or Gold: The yellow or gold color serves as a protection for your health, it gives relief from exhaustion, provides you with a sharper mind, and a strong sense of concentration.
9. Pink: The pink color represents love and is capable of keeping your friendships with others safe and is also great for providing the wearer a sense of calm and relaxation.
10. White: This color gives purity and focus, clears a cluttered mind, removes obstacles and presents a fresh start for its wearer.
11. Light Green: This gives success with your dreams, provides enjoyment, contentment, and good health
12. Grey: The grey color is thought to protect against sorrow while reducing the intensity of another color.
13. Black: This serves to protect your power and prosperity and prepare you for the unknown.
14. Transparent/Clear: This serves to protect of your clarity, mindfulness, and sanity.
HOW TO WEAR THE EVIL EYE JEWELRY
The evil eye is worn in various ways, but there are two popular methods of wearing an evil eye: either as a necklace or as a bracelet. Nevertheless, it can be worn on any other type of jewelry, such as earrings and rings. It is also a featured symbol on some rosaries and other religious items. Anything that can be carried with you as you walk can possess the evil eye charm. No matter how it is worn, the most important thing is that it provides the various benefits that evil eye charms are known for. After all, you never know when someone will attempt to give you the malicious evil eye.
The evil eye itself is a dangerous curse that can be avoided by protecting yourself with the evil eye jewelry. Whether you believe in the supernatural power of the jewelry pieces or think the curse is a made up story of folklore, taking note of the important history and meaning of evil eye jewelry stands as a sign of respect for the cultures who take it’s protection seriously.
If you’re not the sentimental type, it can be worn as nothing more than a modern fashion statement. Either way, the evil eye culture has most certainly been embraced by anyone and everyone. It is then obvious that the evil eye is not just for the spiritual gurus. Whether you believe in its protective powers or not, the evil eye jewelry is one very mesmerizing gift that stands to wow any of your loved ones far and near.